Before taking this course I thought
a journalist was more of someone who just wrote for newspapers and news
stories. I thought the purpose of
journalism was letting people know about current events. Previous to taking this course I thought
journalist just had to just be factual as a part of their ethics. I thought the difference between opinion writing
and impartial reporting was that opinion writing was using your opinion and
impartial reporting was just based on facts.
I now realize that there is a lot more to it. The huge difference is that news sources
won’t be considered reliable with the use of opinion writing. Yes, I was interested in Journalism as a
career before this course, because I knew that it sounded really interesting
and I enjoy revising and writing articles.
In my mind the definition of a
journalist is someone who informs people about what is going on around the
world. Whether it is through a written
article or through the news, radio, or internet. I think that the purpose of journalism is to
keep people informed about current events.
I think that journalistic ethics consist of being impartial, telling
exactly what happened without altering details, showing both sides of an issue,
and being a reliable source. This is
different then what I used to think by the fact that I didn’t think it was as
important to show both sides of an issue.
Impartial reporting is simply only reporting reliable facts and
details. Opinion writing is
writing/reporting about your personal thoughts and opinions. I have always thought that this was the
difference between impartial reporting and opinion writing. Yes I am interested in journalism as a
career, because I feel that I would really enjoy getting to be a leader and
seeing the outcome of all of my hard work.
I feel that the future for journalism is that articles will come out
even faster, and that new machines will be able to detect any opinionated words
used in an article.
No comments:
Post a Comment